• 1 pound asparagus, washed, tough bottoms snapped off
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 ounce Parmigiano Reggiano shavings
• 1 teaspoon aged balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place asparagus and olive oil in a large baking dish, roll until evenly coated. Arrange a single layer. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover with foil, bake 12 to 15 minutes until asparagus is tender when pierced with knife tip. Remove from the oven.
Make ¼ cup thin Parmigiano Reggiano shavings with a vegetable peeler. Scatter shavings over asparagus and return the dish to the oven. Continue baking until the cheese softens, about 2 to 3 minutes. Place asparagus on warmed plates and sprinkle with several drops of balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately.