FORMER Beatle George Harrison says he feels well, denies tabloid report
Tuesday, July 24th 2001, 12:00 am
By: News On 6
LONDON (AP) _ Former Beatle George Harrison says he is ``active and feeling very well,'' denying published reports that cancer has brought him close to death.
Harrison and his wife, Olivia, released a statement Monday after a British tabloid newspaper reported that the star had confided to the Beatles' former producer, George Martin, that he expected to die soon.
The couple said they were ``disappointed and disgusted'' by the Mail on Sunday's suggestion that the former Beatle was close to death.
``The reports were unsubstantiated, untrue, insensitive and uncalled for, especially as Mr. Harrison is active and feeling very well in spite of the health challenges he has had this year,'' the statement said.
George Martin's manager, Adam Sharp, said Monday that Martin had not made the comments reported in the newspaper.
Harrison, 58, underwent a course of radiation therapy last month in Switzerland. He issued a statement at the time telling his fans not to worry and refused to comment on reports that he was battling a brain tumor.
In 1998, Harrison was treated for throat cancer, which he blamed on smoking. In 1999, he suffered a punctured lung when he was stabbed by an intruder who broke into his country home near London.
Four months ago, he underwent lung cancer surgery.