Tulsa carbon monoxide poisoning incident under investigation


Wednesday, November 10th 2004, 12:25 pm
By: News On 6


A big scare for a Tulsa family Wednesday morning. They barely escaped a fatal dose of carbon monoxide poisoning.

This type of thing happens every year as the weather gets colder and people turn on their furnaces.

News on 6 reporter Steve Berg says for the Harris family, the first day in their rental home, was almost their last. The gas had just been turned on Wednesday morning. But firefighters say the furnace was not vented properly.

The family started feeling ill and the kids started crying. Luckily, everybody made it out safe. But they were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Henry Harris was the only one not affected because he was at work. "Check everything out, very thoroughly, because I hadn't checked anything, we had just moved in."

Carbon monoxide detectors are also a good idea. You can find them at most of the same places as you find smoke detectors.

For a full list of symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, check out the EMSA web site at www.emsaonline.com.