Governor Seeks Additional Winter Storm Help


Monday, February 19th 2007, 3:38 pm
By: News On 6


OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) Governor Brad Henry said Monday the state has asked for federal public assistance for 20 more Oklahoma counties that were battered by winter storms last month.

"The ice and snow storms caused serious hardships for countless Oklahomans," Henry said. "We will continue to make effort to receive the assistance that's needed."

The counties included in the governor's latest request are: Alfalfa, Canadian, Comanche, Dewey, Garvin, Grant, Greer, Jackson, Jefferson, Kay, Lincoln, Osage, Pontotoc, Pottawatomie, Rogers, Tillman, Tulsa, Washington, Washita and Woods.

The Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management made the request after conducting preliminary damage assessments in the counties.

22 counties already are eligible for public assistance. Under the major disaster declaration, the federal government pays 75 percent of costs of debris removal, infrastructure repairs, emergency protective measures and restoration of utilities. The state and local governments will each pay 12.5 percent.

State emergency management officials also are urging federal authorities to approve the state's request for individual assistance for homes and businesses impacted by the winter storms.

Last week, the agency forwarded damage assessments to the Federal Emergency Management Agency based on more than 3,000 reports of damage received through the Ice Storm Damage Assessment Line.