Dolphins 13, Chiefs 10

Sunday, November 12th 2006, 3:49 pm
By: News On 6

MIAMI (AP) The Miami Dolphins harried Damon Huard, stymied Larry Johnson and overcame their own sputtering offense.

Kansas City was denied a 1st down until almost halftime, and a trick play set up the Dolphins' lone touchdown to help them beat the Chiefs 13-10 on Sunday.

The Dolphins took an early 13 point lead, but missed chances to build an even bigger cushion because of a sputtering attack. Questionable playcalling by Miami helped keep the outcome in doubt until the final moments.

With the Dolphins nursing a 13-3 lead midway through the 4th quarter, they tried a reverse, but the result was the lone turnover of the game, with receiver Chris Chambers failing to come up with the handoff from running back Ronnie Brown.

The ball bounced to defensive end Jared Allen, who ran 20 yards to the 20. Kansas City scored 4 plays later on a 2 yard run by Johnson.

Kansas City got the ball back at their 14 with 3:10 left, but Miami made one final defensive stand, and Huard's incompletion on 4th & 12 at the Chiefs 36 sealed the outcome.

The Dolphins (3-6) won their second game in a row and snapped a 3 game winning streak by the Chiefs (5-4).

The Chiefs had averaged 32 points in their past 3 games, but went 3-and-out on their first 5 possessions in this one, and the game was 26 minutes old before they managed a 1st down. By then, Miami led 13-0.

Huard went 15-38 for 201 yards with 3 sacks, and 4 times was hit as he threw. The Dolphins' secondary delivered several jarring hits on intended receivers, and Johnson managed only 75 yards on 18 carries.

Miami took control when Chambers got behind Ty Law on a flea-flicker, with Brown taking a handoff and then pitching back to Harrington, who threw long for a 46 yard completion to the 1. Brown scored on a next play for a 13-0 lead.

At that point, the Dolphins had outgained the Chiefs 167 yards to 28.

Three other Dolphins possessions stalled inside the Chiefs 35 and produced only 2 field goals by Olindo Mare.

With Kansas City pinned deep, the Dolphins' Jason Taylor dropped a potential interception 1 yard from a touchdown that would have put them up 20-0 late in the 3rd period. The Chiefs took advantage of the break, mounting an 85 yard drive that ended with a 27 yard field goal by Lawrence Tynes.

Kansas City's first scoring threat came in the 2nd quarter, when Taylor deflected an unsuccessful 48 yard field goal attempt by Tynes.